Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Man food, that a woman can love, too.

My Favorite Pot Roast

Whatever size and cut of beef you prefer (I used a 3 pound chuck roast, this time)
A pound or two of New Potatoes, however many you think you'll eat (I used a combo of red, white and purple New Potatoes, just cause they look nice.)
Other root vegetables like parsnips and/or carrots (whatever you like)
One or two onions, chopped small (red and white or yellow)
The pale green parts of a couple of leeks, julienned and chopped
Garlic, finely chopped (how much depends on how well you like garlic, I love it, so I used about half a small head)
Green and Red Chilies (again, what kind and how many I leave up to you) I used 6 large Hatch Valley chilies, two I chopped fresh and 4 I roasted and peeled.
1 tsp. Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Celery Seed
1/2 tsp Mustard Seed (whole)
1 cup coffee
1 cup water/beef broth
Olive Oil

You can do this in the oven, but since it's still too hot to leave the oven on all day, I'm using the slow cooker. Put enough olive oil in the cooker to coat the bottom. Layer your onions, leeks, garlic and fresh chilies therein. Put the roast on top of that. Sprinkle roast with the black pepper, celery and mustard seeds. Pour the coffee and water, or broth around the sides of the cooker so as not to rinse the spices off the roast. Lay the whole roasted chilies on top of the roast and put the lid on.
Add your potatoes and other root vegetables when the roast has about 1 to 1.5 hours left to cook.
I start my cooker on high and about 2-3 hours later I turn it down to low. It will depend on the cut of meat you use and how big it is. When you add your vegetables, turn the cooker back up to high.
I don't use any salt in this recipe cause I think it ruins the flavor of the chilies, but that's just my preference. If you can't live without salt, then salt away.
If you want, you can also add some cumin, cilantro, garum masala... whatever flavor you feel like. I've been known to throw a piece of cinnamon in with the onions or sprinkle just a tiny bit on the meat with the black pepper. Just the teeniest bit, you just want the hint of it, not enough for it to stand out so you can recognize it first thing. This time, tho, I just wanted the clear, fresh flavor of these wonderful chilies that came yesterday.
Serve with a loaf of nice crusty bread and a green salad.
This is one of my favorite meals. Primarily because my husband and son love it, but I like it an awful lot too. It's one of the few meals that the entire family can agree on. Will try to remember to take a few pics before we chow down and post them here, later.
(Sorry, no pics. The man chowed down while I was out. It was good, tho)

Hopefully the man will have the energy to eat more than a few mouthfuls before he falls asleep.
He still says he's going to work thru the whole process, but if he's this tired feeling already, what's he going to feel like a month or two down the road? I've been researching this stuff as best I can and reading some of the blogs of men who've undergone this treatment and some of them have felt the effects of the lupron in as little as two days. Well, he got his shot 5 days ago. The highest dosage they give. He won't talk about it. Won't tell me if he's feeling any of the effects they warned him about, so I just have to guess what he's feeling. This is not fun, and I don't guess its gonna get any better until it's over with. Just have to suck it up and go on, eh?

No comments: