Saturday, February 23, 2008

The problem with buying new books...

is that it sometimes takes me a long time to decide that I'm actually gonna read them. See... I "splurged" and got myself the next two books in that David Drake series I've been reading on, "The Lord of the Isles". They've been sitting up on my book shelf with the rest of the series for about a month now. Maybe longer. And I just can't make myself read them right now. I mean, when I purchased them I wanted to read them really bad. I'd been holding off on buying them until the prices came down on the used ones. So, I've been waiting to read the next one in line for a couple of years. And I have enjoyed the other books in the series. But still, I can't make myself pick one of them up and get started on it. I was wondering to myself, why do I do that? I once bought a book and kept it for over a year before I read it. Now that I think about it, I have a Katherine Kurtz book on my shelf with all the other Deryni books that I've had for about 3 years now and I still haven't read it. I've picked it up a few times and thumbed through it, but I just can't make myself read it. Maybe cause I subconsciously know that it's the very last book in that series and that there won't ever be another one; so I don't want it to end. I picked up my very first Deryni book many years ago. They were already old by then. (can't be helped, I went many years without sitting down and reading a book. Heck, I went many years without being able to purchase books and without the wherewithal to get to the public library, so... I missed a lot of stuff) Anyway... the first few she wrote were kinda juvenile and I picked them up at the used book store as a "light" read. Actually, the book store was kinda small back then and didn't have much in the way of sci-fi/fantasy at the time, but I digress... As she went along with the story, the characters became more full-fleshed, the plots more convoluted, more thought provoking. As far as I know she hasn't written another in the series and I don't know if she plans to. It seems to me that she's gone just about as far with this story as she can. So... maybe I'm simply holding on to this book, knowing it's the last. If I don't read it, it won't ever be over??? Silly, huh?


Before I sign off for the evening, here's another noteworthy "hunky" man:

Will Smith

Phenomenal actor. Pretty much anything he puts his name on turns to pure gold. So many of his movies become instant classics. "Independence Day", "Men in Black", so many fine movies for one artist to put his name on... And tho I'm not a big rap/hip hop fan, I confess that I like much of his work as a musician, too. Like "Getting Jiggy Wit It", and "Switch", and "Wild Wild West"... The man is just brilliant. Who would have thought all those years ago when he was rhyming and rapping and acting in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, that he would turn into a box-office legend. HA! His current film is "I Am Legend". How do you like that? And he is.
He's also mighty fine to look at. He has the most engaging smile. You can't help but smile with him. I also like that slightly acerbic sense of humor that can suddenly shift into the realm of silliness, without a warning. He's got a body that just won't quit; and that mocha complexion is so smooth and sexy. You've also got to respect his business acumen and his dedication to his family. Doesn't matter if your white, black, brown, red, or yellow... if you're a woman, and you're not gay, you have got to appreciate what Will Smith has to offer.

So, that's about it for now. Think I may go turn in for the night. See ya later.

4 comments:

pamwax said...

Do you but hardbacks or paperbacks. I don't buy anymore. I discovered a web site where you can get paperbacks, audio and hardbacks. You list your old books, people request them and you mail it to them. You request a book and someone sends it to you. You get credits for every book you send out and you use those to get books for yourself. 1 credit for books and 2 credits for audio.

All it costs you is the postage for the books you send. I get audio books to use when I am on the treadmill. I have saved a bundle because they are expensive.

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

I buy whatever is cheapest. I hardly ever buy brand new books. It's so much cheaper to buy used ones either at the store or on-line. The only problem with the deal you're using is that I hate parting with my books. Especially if it's a good one. I will trade in or sell the ones that aren't so good, but I have shelves full of books that I won't part with. I'll go back and reread them years after I bought them and read them the first time.

pamwax said...

I know what you mean. There are books I won't part with and I will reread. I have already read The Da Vinci Code twice. Like movies, I can watch the ones I like many times.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, skw. Kindred minds and all that. I never knew you were a KK fan. She's recently written the first 2 books of a Childe Morgan trilogy, but I didn't think they were very good. She's also re-done/expanded the Kelson-era books, but very little was changed. I kinda wish she'd stopped while she was ahead. I still want to see her write about what happened in 948, though. There's a website dedicated to her work (she joins a chat with her fans once a week or so) at www.rhemuthcastle.com
snowy