Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Family Reunion 2008 ~ Part One

We took Highway 301 down to Florida. It's a lovely drive thru the woods. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of that part of the trip. It wasn't very nice anyway... my darling hubby had to be an ass, as he ALWAYS is when we go somewhere that I'm really excited and happy to be going. I had hopes that it wouldn't happen this time, given that he's been all lovey-dovey these past couple of weeks. Guess I was right not to trust. That's neither here nor there, however. After all the crying was over, I enjoyed myself and pretty much ignored him.

Anyway.... we got there (to Tina's house) Thursday afternoon, Pete and I had a great big argument and such, and then my sister, Martie, and two of her girls (Emmy & Raina) came over. We had a good time visiting with them. It was so great to see her and the girls again. We made plans to go shopping the next day to pick up the stuff for the salad bar. She said she would be over before noon so we could go.

The next day I got up early and got ready to go shopping and then waited and waited and waited. I called Martie around 10:30am and John said she was still asleep. I gave her another hour and then another one... you get the point, right? Finally... around 1:30pm, she showed up. Me, Pete, Martie, Emmy & Raina piled into our car and hit the market. Stopped at the Freshco, which is a Hispanic/ethnic sort of a grocery store. I enjoyed shopping there. They had lots of fruits and veggies that we can't get up here. But they didn't have everything I wanted so we had to also stop at the Winn-Dixie on our way back home. Got home and then had to wash and chop and slice and dice all the stuff.

The guys were cooking the BBQ for THE DAY over at Robert's house. So Tina was cooking Gumbo and rice for over there. See... we always have a party the night before the official party. That's just the way it is. Everyone gets together when they cook the meat and gets all drunk and stuff. That's because we used to have a rule that no one could drink alcohol the day of the reunion. Cause Charles and Allen used to make asses of themselves. (as someone put it this year when asked about the no drinking rule, "we used to have that rule back when Charles and Allen drank. Now they don't so we don't need that rule anymore.") Anyway... These are the pics of the Friday night pre-reunion party. This was the first time my sister had seen any of these people in over a decade. Except me, Pete, Thomas, Tina and her kids. It was a very emotional time for her. Don't laugh or think that she looks old or anything. See, she was in the process of getting her teeth pulled and getting dentures and she lost her medicaid. So... now she doesn't have any teeth, but she's working to save the money and I'm trying to convince her to let us help her out. It's a long story and her man is worthless, but anyway... it was still a fun time and I think she's beautiful anyway. So don't tell me no different cause I won't believe you. :)


And that's the story of the first part of the family reunion. Sorry, but it's the short version. The next part will be of THE DAY. I'm going to take a break from this machine right now. I have loads of stuff to get done. Still not totally unpacked yet. Plus I have laundry to do, cleaning... so, will go take care of some of that and then do the rest of the pics sometime later.

6 comments:

Jeannie said...

You did a real nice job with the pictures. It made me feel like I was there.

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Thanks Jeannie. I just editted the slideshow. I forgot some pics, so just added them to it.

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here having lunch and watching your slideshow. You did a fantastic job with the pics Holly. I'll be looking forward to the next batch, especially the ones with all the girls wearing the hats.

Arsenette said...

Wow that's a great slideshow!

Sorry Pete was being Pete but I won't digress about me not liking Pete :) so carry on! :D Looking forward to the great pics and more stories!

geographygeek said...

I loved the slideshow! You take really great pictures. Looks like you had a wonderful time. Can't wait to see more!

Anna said...

Awesome slideshow! Thanks for showing us the pics!