Sunday, June 15, 2008

Today

Kroger had Edy's no sugar added ice cream on sale... so I stocked up. I got a flavor that I would not have ordinarily purchased if it had been full price. I got a half gallon of Mint Chocolate Chip. I have to say its pretty darned good. Sort of like eating a frozen Peppermint Patty. I recommend it highly (for a change, anyway).

So, I've been wondering... Why in the world does spending 5 years in a Vietnamese prisoner of war camp make John McCain a foreign policy expert? Don't get me wrong, I have tremendous respect for a person who can undergo that sort of thing and come out of it as well as Mr. McCain has, but still... how does being a prisoner of war make him an expert at anything other than how to survive and maintain one's sanity under extreme duress? (which is no small thing, I know). And how does one ask that question without sounding like one is being disrespectful of his service to our country? Making light of his travails, so to speak. Which I certainly would never do, but you get what I'm saying, right? I just don't see why he should use his experience during that war as a reason for us to believe he knows what he is doing in regards to this war.

Not that I'm saying Barack Obama would be any better or knows any more about foreign policy. I'm just saying...

Tim Russert. Wow. What a shocker. I usually caught the late edition of his Meet the Press show on MSNBC on Sundays. I somehow never seemed to wake up early enough to catch the first showing on NBC. I wonder if they will find someone to take over that show or if they will just wrap it up now. I don't think they will end the show. It's the longest running Sunday morning public affairs show in the history of television. They will have to find someone else to host it. I would hate to be that "someone". I'm betting they will rotate hosts/hostesses in and out of the spot for a good while before they pick a permanent replacement. I could be wrong but I just don't see anyone with any integrity wanting to take on that responsibility too soon after Tim's passing.

The flooding in Iowa is something else, isn't it? I can't imagine what those people must be going thru. What a terrifying experience. And we are in drought. Supposed to have gotten rain all day today and tonight and in to tomorrow. What few raindrops that fell on my house today would fit comfortably into my thimble. We are drying up and blowing away. Dust in the wind, so to speak. Has the weather always been this weird or is it just the age we live in? 24/7 cable news, Internet, instant access to information from anywhere and everywhere. Maybe that's it. Maybe it really isn't as "doomsday" as it seems. Yeah, that's it. We just never heard about droughts and floods in other places like we do now days. There, that thought makes me feel better... not.

Want to get back on my exercise program. I don't have any energy or strength. My muscles might as well be water. My legs and feet tingle and throb constantly. I wish it would stop. It's really quite annoying. I have gained back every single pound that I had lost, plus some. I am not amused. Well, will just have to try harder, won't I?

Speaking of which... sitting at this computer is not moving me forward toward my goal. Ciao.

3 comments:

Arsenette said...

The Iowa floods remind me of the 1980's when the Mississippi river decided it wanted to visit the Missouri river in a hurry.. How many states did that take up? To this day many people have not fully recovered from that natural catastrophy.. I've had family that have dealt with floods (usually coinciding with a bigger mess like a hurricane) and there is just no single way to express the heartwrenching sense of loss and utter shock someone goes through. It's callous of me to say that they all think "it can't happen to them" but it is that. I mean.. WHO in their right mind would think that anyway? It's just not something you plan for. Oh look honey it's a pretty house by a lake.. We have to plan for our lives to be washed ways.. okay let's buy this home. I mean even when people purchase flood insurance.. it's just something that doesn't cross their minds. Devastating nonetheless. Truly devastating.

Jeannie said...

I've never been much for ice cream, but I do love mint chocolate chip. Makes me wanna grab some right now... :D

As to John McCain's education on this war- I don't think anyone is going to have the right answer. I liked Hillary's get the heck out of there in 16 months plan, but even that wasn't a perfect plan. We'll have to wait and see what Obama does. (Yes, I'm calling Obama the winner. Maybe it's wishful thinking.)

Poor Tim Russert. I hope that he did not suffer any.

Anna said...

Hearing about Tim Russert's passing shocked me as well. I felt bad when I heard he died at work, but I guess he loved his job. I think it would be a cruel joke if the last thing I saw on this earth was my cubicle.

The flooding is horrible. What's with the weather lately?