Howdy all! Been a long time, eh? Just wanted to wish everyone a lovely, beautiful, wonderful, happy Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Midwinter... whatever Holiday you celebrate. Or even if you don't, I wish you a pleasant wintertime anyway. :) Soooo, the big day has come and gone. It was a very nice day for us, actually. One of the best Christmas Days I've had in years. Very calm, pleasant, restful... it did rain on us early, but by afternoon it was clear.
Anywho... just thought I would get a head start on my wish list for next Christmas. Ya know, get ol Santa Claus thinking on it anyway, so... this is my list of wants for next year (in no particular order):
1. High Speed Rail. Like the rest of the world is developing. Why can't I hop a train and make an afternoon trip down to my sister's place in FL? It's only 400 miles. Why should it take me all day to drive there? We've been talking about this since I was a little girl and it still isn't happening. Wake up folks! Park the car and get on the train already. Sheesh.
2. A Space Program that once again sets the standard for the rest of the world. I mean really... Japan, Europe and China are outstripping us in every direction. Mapping the moon; developing living quarters for settlements on hostile planets; etc. When we [humans] finally get out there en masse, American companies will be shut out of the resources to be found there.
3. A Mass Transit System for my town that will actually get me from my home neighborhood to downtown Augusta without having to drive for miles to the closest bus stop. (I don't really foresee this one happening but... I can dream, can't I?)
4. A job that pays a living wage. Preferably one that doesn't require years of college to obtain. I hated college. I'm just not cut out for it. But I can learn. I don't think I would mind a sort of manufacturing job or something like. And besides... how can we survive as a country if we can't MAKE anything for ourselves? Doesn't make any sense to me. All these companies moving jobs to other countries where they can exploit the workforce and then counting on bringing the goods back here where they can sell them for 20 times the cost to us rich gringos. Except... if we have no jobs we have no money!!! DUH. Now what you gonna do smart ass company man? Sell your goods to the cheap laborers you've been exploiting for what you sell it to us for? I think not. Sowing the seeds of their own destruction. OUR destruction. Idiots. However, I digress...
5. A power grid that is secure, safe, and "green". Infrastructure. Infrastructure. Infrastructure. How many times do I have to say it? I'd work on an assembly line making solar panels, windmills, computer chips... whatever (see item number 4). I can do that. We used to build things here. Now we can't even maintain our phone lines and electric supply. And let's not get started on the general water supply...
6. A Pentagon staff that remembers it's history. How many times are we going to arm Middle Eastern countries and teach them to fight against us? They always end up turning on us. Do the idiots running our armed forces really think anything is going to change, there? Most of the folks over there are still living in the middle ages. No, that statement isn't politically correct but I think it's a fair assessment. If not physically then mentally and emotionally in the middle ages. I mean, what is that old saying about performing the same action over and over again and expecting a different outcome? We ought to just let those folks alone and let them live as they want. Oh but wait! We can't. We depend on their fossil fuel supplies too much. Right.... see items #1, 3, and 5. If we had renewable, sustainable, home-grown energy supply right here in the good old US of A we could just pack it up and let that part of the globe go about it's business without us. As a side note: I wonder if they would still hate us as much if we quit buying their oil? Or maybe they would hate us more if the money quit flowing to their kings, banks, businesses and jihadists?
7. Dope smokers to wake up and realise that their habit is killing innocent women, children and old folks in Mexico and other Central and South American countries. Choosing to do drugs is not "not hurting anyone else". There are ruthless, evil, inhuman beings running those Cartels that supply your weed, coke, etc. They kill people so that your money keeps flowing into their coffers. If you smoke their dope you might as well be pulling the trigger for them. Besides, dope makes you stupid. Don't do it. Or... I suppose, if you have to be stupid, grow your own and quit paying the killers.
8. People to quit trying to blow up planes. I myself do not believe the gates to Paradise are to be found in the flames of burning metal and human flesh.
9. A viable third political party in this nation. The two party system is NOT working. In fact... it has become an impediment to progress. Get rid of it. Change it. Fire them all and get some new blood in Washington DC. I don't know... something has got to give, tho.
10. People to do the right thing, because it IS the right thing, not for fear of a vengeful God. I don't know for sure if there is or is not a God. But if there is... I'm pretty sure he/she does not need a mere mortal to do their killing for them.
Anyway, that's my first 10. I may have more as the new year progresses. In fact, I'm sure I will. But this will do for now.
I sincerely hope everyone has a happy and prosperous New Year.